State Engagement and Policy Lead
At Finless Foods, our mission is simple – we want to create a future for seafood where the ocean thrives. We work toward this every day by creating delicious alternative seafood products that help you satisfy your cravings without bait or hook. We are using ground-breaking plant and cell culture technology to revolutionize the way the world sources delicious and sustainable food. Good for us. Good for the ocean.
At Finless Foods, we are passionate about supporting our employees’ growth both personally and professionally. We want you to be proud of having ‘Finless Foods’ on your resume and we want you to be a key part of making Finless’ amazing culture what it is.
- Emotional Intelligence - Being both self and socially aware and effectively managing yourself and your social relationships.
- Trust Through Transparency - Communicating by leading with transparency and honesty, even when it's difficult.
- Proactive Support - Proactively looking for opportunities to offer support to your teammates and then executing on it.
- Opportunities In Failure - Being honest about failure but also making sure to frame failures as things to learn from and growth opportunities, because these are the building blocks of success.
At Finless we integrate these values on a daily basis, and they’re also a core part of our annual individual and team evaluations. We’re looking for individuals who will take these to heart as much as we do.
Finless Foods is an exciting startup with a mission to create a future for seafood where the ocean thrives, and we are looking for talented individuals to join our growing team. The State Engagement and Policy Lead will support California state policy engagement, assist the Policy and Impact team with federal and international initiatives, help with projects related to the company’s mission and impact, and build stakeholder relationships in the environmental, food, and seafood communities. A successful candidate will have experience working with, or for, the California state legislature, have strong written and communication skills, and a drive to make a positive impact in the world. The position is based in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, CA (open to assessing candidates in Sacramento), and will report to the Policy and Impact Manager, who is located in Washington, DC.
As the State Engagement and Policy Lead, you will be responsible for supporting the Strategy Team on numerous Finless Foods departmental priorities, including, but not limited to:
- Policy and Impact
- Regulatory Affairs
- Stakeholder Engagement
In addition, the State Engagement and Policy Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Public Policy
- Execute outreach and engagement strategy focused on the California State Legislature and stakeholders and interest groups relevant to the policy landscape.
- Stay abreast of California state policy developments as related to cell-cultured and plant-based foods, and related issues.
- Support the Policy and Impact Manager on various state, federal, and international policy initiatives.
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Lead stakeholder engagement in California, including initial outreach and follow-ups.
- Work with the Policy and Impact Manager to identify key individuals and organizations domestically and internationally, and build those relationships.
- Content Creation and Review
- Review policy documents and other materials and provide feedback/comments informed by substantive understanding of policy and the impact landscape.
- Support our communications team to develop policy-related content, including blogs, op-eds, fact sheets, and talking points.
Experience, Skills, and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, agriculture, environmental science or management, or related degree.
- Master’s degree in public policy, agriculture, environmental science or management, or related degree preferred.
- 2-5 years experience in public policy, agriculture, sustainable food systems, sustainable seafood, or a related field.
- Interest in legislative and rule-making processes and interest in alternative foods policy.
- Ability to assist with research, analyze, and synthesize complex policy information.
- Ability to assist with developing and executing written documents, briefings, and presentations quickly, clearly, and efficiently.
- Capacity to work effectively with diverse teams; integrate across disciplines; and work collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Utilize software such as Asana and other technology platforms to ensure tasks are moving forward to meet goals on time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Invested in making a positive impact in the world.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Ability to remain attentive to details, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Collaborative team player; willing to take on a variety of tasks to further the program goals.
- Ability to work with a manager/team that is remote.
- Ability to come into Finless Foods HQ office at least once every other week, and as needed for meetings when they arise.
- Willingness and ability to travel as required.
- Annual Salary Range: $73,000 to $103,000, depending on experience.
- Flexible paid time off
- Flexible Schedule
- 401k with matching contribution up to 4%
- Medical, dental, & vision
- Access to well-being tools and development opportunities
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
- We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Be part of the change for a better world
- Willing to travel 10-15%+
To Apply: Your resume and cover letter explaining your interest and any related experience
Work Environment/Physical Demands
This position involves working primarily in an office [performing ad-hoc administrative tasks on a regular basis]. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at a desk or bench, the use of computers and standard office equipment, and the capability of lifting 15-20 pounds. The position requires analytical skills, attention to detail, and excellent time management, as well as communication with other team members.
Finless Foods, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees, and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the large number of applications, only applicants moving on to the next round will be contacted.