ABOUT AIR PROTEIN
At Air Protein, we’re passionate about creating a new food system–one that pushes the boundaries of what anyone thought was possible and builds a healthy relationship between our food and our planet. This is a new era of sustainable production; we can use less and make more. We can feed the growing global population without destroying rainforests or warming the planet. Join our diverse team of passionate scientists, engineers, and business leaders working to create the future of food—meat made from elements of the air.
As an innovative food company, we are crafting the world’s first air-based meats to eliminate compromise between nutrition, taste and climate impact. Using novel technology inspired by NASA, we convert elements found in the air into protein. Air Protein’s process is carbon-negative by design, using less land and water, and is powered by renewable energy. It’s where cutting-edge science meets bold ambition to reinvent the way we eat.
Benefits & Perks:
In addition to the chance to work with a world-class team and cutting-edge technology to help combat climate change and address the impending food crisis, Air Protein employees also enjoy competitive benefits. We offer unlimited PTO, parental leave, 401K match, and compensation plans that include employee equity. Air Protein invests in employee development and the company culture is shaped by shared values:
- Protect people & the planet
- Play as a team and have a growth mindset
- Do what you say you will do
- Be the change you seek
- Create a culture of belonging
We’re currently seeking a Senior Plant Safety Engineer (Hydrogen) to join our extraordinary team.
Do you have experience in gas bioprocessing, gas fermentation, or gas safety systems?
Have you worked with hydrogen and/or have robust knowledge of PSM??
Are you knowledgeable in the operation and design of gas safety systems, process safety interlocks, and troubleshooting of unit operations?
Do you have experience as engineering lead on process and operations troubleshooting?
Do you love creating a culture of safety on your teams?
If you answered yes to these questions, then WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
The Senior Plant Safety Engineer (Hydrogen) is experienced with gas-to-liquid, gas-to-chemicals, hydrogenation, or related gas processes. They are responsible for the safe design, operation, and troubleshooting of gas bioprocesses in the company. This role would play a significant part in optimizing gas generation, delivery, and utilization, along with providing engineering support to downstream processing equipment. This position is based in the SF/Bay area, and would require relocation if not in commutable distance to the work site. Relocation assistance provided.
- Serve as a hydrogen or flammable gas subject matter expert (SME).
- Oversee and support the design, operation, optimization and troubleshooting of gas fermentation and bioreactor systems involving the use of CO2/H2//O2.
- Apply engineering and scientific principles and models to solve process and equipment issues, ensure safe operations, and support upskilling operations teams.
- Support scale-up engineering, design, and operations.
- Identify and initiate process improvements to enhance process safety.
- Analyze and evaluate project designs and ensure compliance with engineering. principles, regulatory requirements, and safety standards.
- Commission pilot and commercial scale equipment and manufacturing lines safely.
- Conducts start-up field testing and troubleshoots new, modified, and current systems and equipment related to a project.
- Collaboration with fermentation, pilot plant, analytical, product development functions with all development objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in a gas-to-liquid, gas-to-chemicals, hydrogenation, or other process involving high pressure and/or flammable gasses in an R&D and/or operations role
- Experience in R&D, manufacturing, plant, and/or refinery operations involving the use of hydrogen.
- Experience with managing and safely using hazardous gasses involving flammable gasses.
- Experience with engineering and operations of large scale industrial equipment.
Skills & Qualities
- Solid skills in project planning
- Excellent organizational skills
- Superlative communication skills
- Professional experience in roles requiring both independent creativity and collaboration with multiple stakeholders
Salary range for this position: $102,000 - $138,000
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
#AirProtein #SafetyEngineer #PSM #Hydrogen #PlantSafety
Air Protein is an equal opportunity employer.
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability – or any other status protected by law – to apply to join our team.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don’t tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.