Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
Your work at Wildtype
- Lead and streamline Wildtype’s company-wide sensory test program
- Design and execute sensory tests, analyze, interpret, and report sensory testing results
- Recruit, train, and maintain sensory panels
- Coordinate and run consumer testing
- Lead the product development of target sensory characteristics
- Contribute to the improvement of product sensory attributes
What you bring to Wildtype
- PhD or Master’s degree in Food Science, Neuroscience, or equivalent area, with a focus on sensory science and sensory perception
- 3 + years of experience working in a sensory science team in a food company or sensory laboratory
- Experience using a sensory software (eg. RedJade, Compusense)
- Strong statistical analysis skills
- Experience in training & maintenance of sensory panels
- Experience in consumer research
- A resourceful, entrepreneurial, creative, and collaborative mindset. The ability to work cross-functionally with various teams and also independently in the design and execution of sensory testing
What we’ll teach you
- How novel sustainable sustainable is being developed using traditional food product development approach and new cell-based approach
- How to work with a fast-moving, interdisciplinary team working at the leading edge of numerous highly technical fields
- Within 1 month You will have understood the functions of Wildtype’s existing sensory testing program, and begun to improve and streamline testing. You take on the responsibility of improving the program, as well as how its results guide the work of Wildtype’s R&D teams. You will have set your professional development goals for the next twelve months.
- Within 3 months You will have assumed responsibility for Wildtype’s sensory program. You will have worked with other R&D teams to develop detailed plans for how sensory assessments will guide and advance R&D efforts.
- Within 6 months The new sensory program you have improved will yield meaningful improvements on the company’s products and prototypes. You will have trained new hires and crewmates to work within the sensory program.
- Within 12 months You will continue optimizing sensory approaches to accelerate product development, while taking initiative to bring new sensory research topics to the product development team. You will have helped to position Wildtype for commercial success in the launch of new products.
The hiring range for this position is $125,000 - $140,000 per year plus 90th percentile equity.
Location: this position is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status