Senior Food Scientist
SCiFi Foods is on a mission to make meat the world can depend on. We use synthetic biology to create the next generation of meat alternatives that use cell-based ingredients in combination with plant-based meat, enabling us to create a more meat-like taste, sensory experience, and nutrition than anything on the market today.
In this role you will build scientific understanding of flavor generations and utilize this understanding to guide product applications. You will lead external partnership collaboration for critical research, communicate the results internally and identify and develop strategic initiatives based on findings.
- Lead and manage external partnership to conduct flavor research.
- Design and conduct experiments for fundamental understanding of flavor chemistry.
- Analyze experiment results and use the findings to guide product development.
- Identify and development strategic initiatives based on research findings and provide guidance to internal stakeholders.
- PhD in organic chemistry or food and flavor chemistry or other related fields, such as biochemistry or analytical chemistry.
- 5+ years of research experience or industry R&D experience in flavor and sensory science.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to manage priorities and complexities.
- Good writing, statistical, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
Nice-to-have (but not required)
- Experience in fractionation and reconstitution of biochemical systems.
- Experience in protein characterization, lipid and flavor chemistry is a must, experience in small molecule chemistry is a plus.
- Experience developing complex sample preparation workflows for analytical characterization is desirable.
- Experience in applied sensory and perceptual research is a plus.
- Energy and determination to work in a fast-paced environment on a project critical to the future of our planet.
We are looking for candidates who are curious about food and science, who are driven to innovate, and who want to work on the future of meat. We work as a collaborative, multidisciplinary, and diverse team that is committed to executing on a big vision for positive impact. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic and fast-moving startup environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. Join us in our quest to redefine the future of food!
SCiFi Foods offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and more. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. SCiFi Foods may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. This position is for our San Leandro, CA location - SCiFi Foods may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role.