Do you want the same as we do?
Would you like to be a crucial part of bringing cultured meat to market, having a massive positive impact on the planet from an environmental and animal welfare perspective?
Do you love to collaborate with a great international team of world-class scientists and engineers in a fast-paced and exciting scale-up environment?
Do you want to bring your metabolism knowledge to our team to carry out innovative research on adipocyte cultures?
What is the purpose of your role?
To develop a better understanding of the metabolism of bovine adipocytes, resulting in the development of improved strategies for feeding of cells and for perfecting the lipid composition of our cultivated beef fat.
What are your key responsibilities?
You'll be researching cell metabolism and lipid metabolism/signaling, to advance our current understanding of bovine adipocyte metabolism.
You'll be responsible for developing strategies to optimise the feeding of bovine adipocytes and tailor the lipid composition of cultivated meat via medium optimisation.
You'll be supporting other members of the Fat Tissue Engineering team by giving insights into how different aspects of cell metabolism can impact their lines of research.
What will you do?
Carry out cell and tissue culture of bovine adipocytes in 2D and 3D to assess the effect of various treatments on cell and lipid metabolism.
Develop high-throughput methods to assess the alterations in lipid metabolism/profile that your treatments have induced.
Applying a variety of approaches such as lipidomics, metabolomics, enzyme chemistry, cell signaling, and computational biology to study the metabolism of bovine fat cells/tissue.
Work in close collaboration with our team of computational scientists and apply their genome-scale metabolic model to your research.
Communicate interpretation of experimental data to scientists and non-scientists alike.
Supervision of junior scientists, technicians and/or interns.
Continuously stay up-to-date with scientific literature.
What are we looking for?
- PhD or equivalent experience (e.g. masters +3 years experience) in biochemistry, biomedical science, or other relevant subject.
- Background in metabolism, lipid chemistry, metabolic biochemistry and/or mass spectrometry-based metabolomics.
- Experience with cell/tissue culture, preferably of mammalian cells, although no specific knowledge of bovine is required.
- Hardworking, organised and dedicated team-player.
- Passionate about our mission, and excited about working in a commercial start-up environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills (minimum B2 level English).
- Permission to work in the EU (desirable).
What can you expect from us?
We are a rapidly growing team working on an innovation that we believe will have a huge global impact. As part of this exciting project, you will get to:
- Enjoy an entrepreneurial work culture with lots of freedom in your work and
- flexibility in your working hours (if the role allows for it).
- Enjoy 25 days of paid leave per year and the possibility to buy up to 1 extra week from your holiday allowance.
- Have access to fundamental trainings and be part of our continuous learning culture.
- Work close to the center of the beautiful and historical city of Maastricht.
- As part of competitive remuneration, receive a bonus plan similar to stock options called Stock Appreciation Rights (SARs).
- Combine hard core science with a commercial goal.
Do you think this opportunity is exciting? Jump on board and be a part of this amazing journey! We really look forward to hearing from you. Please submit your application as soon as possible. We will review the candidates on a rolling basis. Following the review of your application, we will be in touch with you shortly!
If you have any questions, you can reach out to Dr. Laura Jackisch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
*Please be aware that emails coming from our automated Homerun system occasionally end up in spam/junk mail filters!