Research Associate II, Discovery (Berkeley)
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Research Associate II position will work in R&D’s Discovery teams’ California location to advance innovations. The successful individual will be responsible to maintain/expand multispecies cell cultures, assist with experimental designs and development of gene editing vectors, apply genome engineering techniques to screen for desired phenotypes, and characterize cells. We are looking for an independent and productive individual that can partner with leadership to rationally design and implement experiments. This is a laboratory-based position that will make use of critical thinking, troubleshooting, and organizational skills. This position will involve cross functional collaborations across the R&D organization. We seek an enthusiastic individual with strong communication and technical skills.
- Multispecies cell culture maintenance, expansion, and transfections.
- Implement genome engineering techniques for phenotype screens and cell line generation.
- Molecular biology techniques: (PCR, ddPCR/qPCR, flow cytometry, cell sorting, western blot, NGS, genome engineering tools).
- Cell culture assay: transfections, gene expression analysis, protein/DNA quantification, cell growth and phenotype characterization.
- Design, set-up, and execution of experiments independently or with guidance from team/project lead.
- Proficient & organized data collection, management, interpretation, and presentation.
- Communicate results clearly and with integrity to cross-functional teams and leadership.
- BS/BA in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering or closely related science with 2+ years of cell culture and molecular biology experience or a MS degree in a closely related field and some work experience.
- Experience with aseptic cell culture techniques and working with mammalian, avian, or aquatic cell culture systems.
- Knowledge of molecular techniques such as RNA/DNA extraction, PCR/qPCR/ddPCR, genome editing tools.
- Knowledge of cell-based assays (flow cytometry, viability, immunofluorescence, growth assay).
- Detail-oriented and organized laboratory notebook keeping of experimental designs and results.
- Comfortable working independently and collaboratively on projects.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment and meet deadlines.
Who you’ll work with…
- Primary role is as an individual lab-based contributor in the Discovery team’s Berkeley, California location.
- This role will partner with cross functional teams/Task Forces across R&D including Upstream Development, Cell Culture Media Development, Data, and Supply chain.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Derive multiple cell lines with desired cell phenotypes and genotypes.
- Develop cells, genome engineering vectors, GE tools, and methodologies for downstream teams.
- Implement a high throughput screen for desired phenotypes.
Compensation Range: $48,000 - $80,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities