At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! The Research Associate I (RA I) within our Cell Line Development (CLD) team will be responsible for generating cell lines for cultivated meat production. The RA I will collaborate closely with upstream team members to meet key objectives and reduce bottlenecks. You should be creative, disciplined, enthusiastic, and able to work with a team to reach a common goal.
- Following and generating R/SOP's to execute tasks ranging from routine to complex lab procedures in cell culture, genetic engineering, and molecular biology assays.
- Generating, characterizing, and maintaining multiple cell lines, including transfection, tracking cell performance, and cryobanking.
- Executing molecular biology workflows, including primer design, RNA/DNA extraction, gene expression, genotype analysis (via RT-qPCR, PCR, ddPCR), and molecular cloning.
- Executing cell biology assays, including immunofluorescence, microscopy imaging, and flow cytometry analysis.
- Setting up and executing experiments independently or with guidance from the team or project lead.
- Supporting inventory management and laboratory operations.
- B.S./B.A. in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or closely related science, or experience in a related field.
- Experience with basic mammalian cell culture techniques.
- Nice to have - experience in gDNA/RNA extraction, PCR assays, or cell-based assays including immunofluorescence, flow cytometry analysis, microscopy imaging.
- Detail-oriented and capable of maintaining organized electronic laboratory notebook entries containing experimental plans, methods, data, and results.
- Ability to produce quality work in a fast-paced team environment while meeting deadlines.
- Take initiative to flag unexpected results and optimize processes.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will report to a Sr. Scientist in CLD and partner with Scientists and Research Associates within CLD and Discovery team to generate new lines for use in commercial meat production.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Learn and become proficient with Upside Foods’ cell line generation process by generating multiple cell lines that are critical for our meat production.
- Characterize genotype and phenotype of cell lines to generate data packages to facilitate cell line hand-off to downstream departments.
Compensation Range: $45,000 - $75,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities