Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this internship
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! We need a university recruiting program that scales, and who better than a current university student to explore the wild world of recruiting and help us tap into the future workforce of the cultivated meat industry. This internship will work closely with UPSIDE’s one-of-a kind, world-class recruiting team (if we do say so ourselves) to do an internal audit on what educational pathways have led employees to UPSIDE, and build our own personal “Top 10” schools to build relationships with, taking into heavy consideration the affinity groups and campus clubs to ensure UPSIDE improves its accessibility to students from all backgrounds. We would then use this intern’s expertise to create a playbook for future internship programs to help us run continuously improved intern cohorts for years to come.
- Searching our applicant tracking system (Greenhouse) for current employee data, and using the results to design a sourcing and DEI strategy, with an eye for affinity groups, Alt Protein and other campus clubs
- To build UPSIDE’s 2024 university recruiting strategy with a focus on investing in underrepresented groups in science and technology,
- Memorialize the process from budget, submission, communications, to hire into a Internship Recruiting playbook
- Create a pitch deck for future university recruitment to hand-off to the team at the end of your summer with us (sad!)
- A junior or senior in a BA/BS program, with successful experience in program coordination, project management, or administrative work - extra points if you’ve done recruiting for on campus clubs or other groups!
- Strong intellectual curiosity and resourcefulness with a bias for action!
- You have excellent communication, organizational, attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- You like people, have a vested interest in helping others achieve their career goals, and want to see if recruiting is the career for you!
Who you’ll work with
- This role will report directly into the Director of Talent Acquisition and Talent Sourcer/Internship Program lead.
- This intern will also collaborate closely with the People Operations Associate and various members of the People Ops team on the recruiting and HR side.
- Externally, this role engages with university career center and campus/affinity group representatives.