Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this internship
Upside is building out our Supply Chain team as we grow and move towards product commercialization and looking for eager candidates who are motivated and moved to build out and scale such a foundational business unit. As a team member of the Supply Chain team, you will develop a path forward for optimizing and tightening spend across specific categories and will be exposed to and will work with many stakeholders both internally and externally. You are excited to learn and grow in the following skills: data management, finance, operations, business development.. You’re excited about this opportunity because you will get the opportunity to:
- Learn how to comfortably view things at macro and micro level
- Flex strategic muscles to drive tactical projects forward
- Work and be a part of an industry defying team and company!
- Deep dive into procurement spend data
- Develop a prioritization matrix for supplier and spend consolidation
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to identify cost saving opportunities and assist in implementing a cost savings project for the organization
- Have or currently working on a BA in Supply Chain, Procurement, Business, Engineering, Operations or Manufacturing
- Comfortable working in fast paced environment, self starter and self organizing
- Strong intellectual curiosity and resourcefulness with a bias for action!
- You are analytical and strategic and have experience processing ambiguous and complex challenges and driving resolution
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with many business units in the company! Partners include: Supply Chain, Finance, Business Ops, Discovery & R&D Teams, Cell Media Team, Operations, IT, etc. It’s a rare opportunity to learn about all parts of the business and the industry
- You will be reporting directly into the Procurement Strategist
Length of internship
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.