Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this internship
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! As our journey continues the Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT) team is dedicated to scale up and process robustness! We are looking for an intern who will help us characterize a critical part of our process, along with getting to know every step of the process. As the intern on this project, you will work with a diverse team of technical experts to test process equipment and material and assess cell function in a series of data driven experiments.
- Design and execute at-scale and scale-down equipment and material characterization experiments with cell culture performance verification experiments
- Present study design and outcomes at routine joint Process Development and MSAT meetings
- Refine internal tools for process equipment and material characterization
- Weekend support as needed
- Graduating seniors in BS programs, current graduate students (MS or PhD) who are available to work full time for the duration of the internship, or recent grads (within 2 years of receiving their last degree)
- Contributing/contributed in extracurricular science or engineering research outside of academic coursework
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Proactive, inquisitive, and good communication skills
- Ability to intake and synthesize information, attention to detail and problem-solving skills
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will be directly supervised by the Sr. MSAT Process Engineer.
- The MSAT team interfaces with all aspects of Process Development, R&D, Manufacturing and Process Engineering, and this intern position will be expected to work with stakeholders across the organization to design and execute studies.