Lead Scientist - Cell Culture Media Development
Mission Barns is where some of the world’s smartest, most passionate people are pioneering the future of food. We are scaling up and optimizing our process to provide sustainable, safe, and humane meat products to the world.
We are a venture-backed startup with decades of experience in cell biology, tissue engineering, media development, food science, bioreactor design, and more. We’re united by our collective drive to solve difficult problems, ask tough questions, and apply cutting-edge science and engineering. At Mission Barns, you’ll have the freedom to dream big and do the best work of your life.
As the Lead Scientist of Cell Culture Media Development at Mission Barns, you will be building and coordinating a team of scientists and research associates to formulate and optimize our proprietary, animal-component-free cell culture media compositions to support the proliferation and differentiation of unique cell populations. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and expertise of cell culture media preparation, optimization methodologies, and compositional analysis, as well as team management skills. This role will be required to independently lead and deliver individual projects and manage direct reports’ goals and schedule. You and your team will collaborate with colleagues across many functions within the company (Adipose Biology, Process Development, Biomaterials, etc.) to advance our mission. Title and responsibilities will be commensurate with experience.
- Full-time, exempt
- San Francisco, CA – 100% Onsite
- Full time employees enjoy medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, stock options, 401k, and ample opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Salary range: $120,000-$160,000
- Establishing and executing workflows to develop and optimize a variety of animal-component-free media to support all cell culture processes including proliferation and differentiation
- Applying chemical analysis techniques to evaluate fresh, spent, and in-process media formulations
- Implementing bioassays to analyze media and collect impactful metabolic data from our cell culture systems
- Identifying novel directions to expand media research and development
- Building and managing the cell culture media development team
- Aligning with senior leadership to implement critical decisions
- Providing expertise in media development and media optimization to other teams
- Conducting rigorous experimental design, documentation, and data analysis
- Concise and effective reporting and presentation of data
- Providing creative solutions and demonstrating critical thinking
- Leading and collaborating with team members to support all upstream and downstream process work
- Ph.D in Biological Sciences/Engineering or 7+ years of Biological industry experience is required. Advanced degree and 5+ years of industrial cell culture media development experience is preferred.
- Passionate about leveraging cell culture media expertise to advance our mission and state-of-the-art technology
- Deep knowledge in cell culture media composition, preparation, analysis, and cell-media interactions
- Experience in managing a team is strongly preferred
- Strong track record of peer-reviewed papers is preferred
- Scientific rigor towards continuous improvement
- Adaptability and flexibility in a fast-paced startup environment
- Eager to learn, grow, and contribute
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills
- Attitudinally constructive and positive
Full Time employees enjoy 99% coverage for medical, dental and vision benefits, pre-tax benefits, a 401K, stock options, a brand new state of the art office close to 101, I-80, walking distance to public transit (BART, MUNI, SamTrans), an unlimited supply of snacks, flavored waters, coffee, tea and ample career advancement as the company grows.
Mission Barns is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.