Innovation Chemist - Extractions & Separations
Atomo is a cutting-edge, Seattle-based, food-tech startup confronting the climate crisis by reinventing coffee for tomorrow. Founded in 2019, with offices in the heart of Seattle, Atomo is a place for innovative, creative, committed people to come together, learn from one another and leave this planet better than we found it. We have already reverse-engineered the coffee bean—producing outstanding cold brew coffee with over 90% reduction in both water and carbon footprints—and have even bigger plans for the future. Join us to help shape the future of coffee!
At Atomo we believe that everyone has a critical role to play in how we change the future. We believe in Empowering Innovation through continuous learning while also honoring coffee traditions. We believe in being Stewards to the Planet by leading through example in everything we do and putting the planet over profits. We believe in Building Community by fostering an environment of physiological safety and always striving for a team of “we”. And we are committed to delivering an exceptional product and experience, every single time.
Atomo is seeking an experienced chemist to support continued innovation in our bean-less coffee. We have created our flagship flavor profiles, but the world of coffee is vast! The person in this role will help Atomo offer more coffee to more people by supporting the creation of new flavor profiles matching coffee flavors that are enjoyed worldwide.
As a core member of the Innovation team, you will leverage your deep expertise in raw material chemistry and liquid chromatography to help drive Atomo's alchemy: upcycling. This is a hands-on role where your work will support creation of the most sustainable coffee on the planet. You will also be a key team member in Atomo's raw material discovery program, helping farmers and processors to find new revenue streams and reduce waste in the global food system. This role will report to the Head of Innovation.
What will you be doing:
- Developing a deep understanding of Atomo's upcycled raw materials, devising botanical extraction and purification protocols to get the most value from agricultural waste
- Establishing and running preparative and analytical methods that will help drive the creation of our beanless coffee technology
- Working closely with other Innovation Scientists to transform new raw materials into our next generation of coffee without beans
- Facilitate successful launches and product updates in collaboration with our engineering, production and marketing teams
- Directing the purchase of and setting up laboratory instruments and equipment required for sample preparation and analyses
- Training junior scientists and research associates to perform these methods with a high degree of accuracy and precision
- Performing routine sample analysis on prototypes and production finished products
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Food Science, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Botany or a related field
- 4+ (M.S.) or 2+ (Ph.D.) years of relevant industry experience working in the purification and characterization of raw materials and their extracts for food, fragrance, pharmaceutical and/or nutraceutical purposes
- You are highly organized with a strong attention to detail and you uphold a high degree of rigor
- A great amount of learning agility with exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Deep understanding of chemistry concepts, QA/QC, and product quality/safety requirements especially as they pertain to food
- In-depth understanding of a variety of relevant analytical techniques, especially LC-MS, HPLC and/or UPLC
- Extensive experience in developing analytical methods
- Ability to deliver high-quality work under constraints of time and budget
- Ability to work closely in an interdisciplinary team
Even better if you have:
- Experience with GRAS applications or working with the FDA
- Formal sensory/organoleptic training for food and beverage
- Experience bringing novel technologies, materials or ingredients to market
- Have worked in a startup environment
Pay Range: $110-$125k DOE
Benefits: Generous PTO, Holidays, Medical-, Dental-, Vision- and Life- Insurance. Personal + Professional Development Program.