Food Process Engineer I
Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this job
The Food Process Engineer I will report to the Senior Manager of Food Process Engineering and Commercialization and will support the development of novel cultivated meat products through design and evaluation of various equipment solutions. The ideal candidate will have experience in both food process engineering and the production of meat or alternative protein products. We are searching for someone with in-depth knowledge of meat processing equipment and food processing practices to enhance the overall quality of our cultivated meat products.
- Support projects that explore, design, install, commission, and validate new food manufacturing equipment.
- Lead communication with equipment vendors to obtain designs, process flow, and layouts.
- Design and execute experiments on various drying and texturizing technologies to optimize texture of cultivated meat raw materials.
- Provide support to Product Development and Food Manufacturing teams to drive results on key development projects.
- Translate learnings at pilot scale into commercial scale production, including technology transfer to production teams.
- Support pilot and scale-up efforts through data collection, presenting summaries to key stakeholders in an organized and concise manner on a regular basis.
- BS/MS in food manufacturing/industrial engineering, agricultural engineering, mechanical engineering, food science, or related fields. Research emphasis on food manufacturing technology is a plus.
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with common meat and alternative protein processing technologies.
- Experience in meat and/or plant protein chemistry.
- Experienced in the statistical design and execution of experiments.
- Ability to work and communicate cross functionally at all levels within the organization.
- Passionate about applying your technical skills to making delicious meat products.
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with Manufacturing, R&D, Sensory, andRegulatory teams to develop and commercialize cultivated meat products.
- This role will most frequently interact with our Product Development and Manufacturing teams.
Key Contributions in First Year
- Develop process flow and layout of manufacturing plant operations through startup and commercialization.
- Design experimental pipeline to identify novel processing technologies for our cultivated meat products.
- Identify, select, install, and commission new processing equipment to support product development.
Compensation Range: $66,000-$140,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities