Arkeon is a food-technology company working to provide the most nutritious and best tasting ingredients for the next generation of alternative protein products. The company’s mission is to decouple food production from agriculture and climate by developing technologies to convert CO2 into food ingredients. At Arkeon we turn the equation upside down by using unique microorganisms capable of producing a versatile range of food ingredients. We utilize the power of nature to transform a resource-intensive food industry into a sustainable, low-emission system.
We are looking for a highly motivated Flavor Chemist who provides technical expertise to create excellent flavors from Arkeon’s amino acid based ingredients. The Chemist plays a key role in flavor space, and can lead, direct and manage projects at a high level. In this role, the Flavor Chemist designs and conducts high level flavor analytical testing for product development and regulatory sciences. This position will collaborate with cross-functional teams, providing input for experimental design, influencing strategy development, and ensuring deliverable insights to build flavor knowledge and capability for Arkeon.
● You have extensive experience in flavor chemistry and flavor creations.
● You successfully interact with collaborators and key customers.
● You are passionate about the mission of transforming the global food system and dedicated to making a positive impact on the way the world eats.
● You are challenging conventions, even your own technological skills and approaches, and are open to work with a diverse group of food technologists, engineers, chemists, biotechnologists, and biologists across disciplines to foster true innovation.
● You are self-directed, highly collaborative and enjoy working with a team in a fast-paced startup environment, while bringing your own experience, expertise and innovative ideas.
● Working with R&D teams to create flavor systems using various scientific applications and creative thinking.
● Managing multiple projects and executing deliverables on time and within guidelines.
● Collaboration cross-functionally within the organization to accomplish business-critical initiatives.
● Providing relevant project information and updates to leadership or other key stakeholders.
● On-going flavor capability development for self and others in the organization.
● Designing, conducting and/or reviewing flavor creation experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) .
● Contributing to continuous improvement efforts on production optimization, implementing the processes and troubleshooting when needed.
To thrive and be happy in this role, we believe that you have the following qualifications and experience:
● Bachelor or master’s degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biology, Nutrition, or another science-related field (required).
● Prior industrial flavor house and flavor development experience is preferred.
● Creativity, with a high level of sensory acuity (ability to taste, and smell).
● Knowledge of essential oils, flavoring chemicals, solvent systems, flavor delivery methods and other building blocks used in flavor creation.
● Basic knowledge of instrumentation used in flavor development.
● General knowledge of chemistry, chemical reactions, and the application to flavor development.
● Basic understanding of flavor labeling and flavor regulatory organizations
● Fluent in English (oral and written).
● Residing in Europe, preferably Vienna, Austria, or willing to relocate.
● Proven ability to work independently and effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines.
● Hands-on approach, willingness to be tenacious, dive into details to help support and improve projects.
● Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills. Culture Fit & Impact
● Understands how to work in a rapidly growing start-up
● Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and changing priorities
● Thrives under pressure and desires to learn and grow
● Mission-driven and interested in transforming the food industry
● Competitive salary depending on qualification and experience
● Working in an innovative Start-Up with flat hierarchy and fast decision paths
● Opportunity to make an immediate and visible impact to the development of new and sustainable products in the food sector
● Be part of a great team with an open communication and feedback culture
● Your knowledge is valuable for everyone, which is why we offer every employee the opportunity to continue their education
● Because family comes first, we are a modern and family-friendly employer with flexible working time models
● Live in the most livable city in the world Vienna
● and much more..
Arkeon values diversity. We welcome all applicants - regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation and identity.