EHS Specialist, EPIC
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! Under the direct supervision of the EHS Manager, the EHS Specialist will assist in establishing and promoting a safe work environment by supporting the day to day activities related to Health and Safety Programs at our EPIC facility in Emeryville, CA. The EHS Specialist will assist organizational leadership to ensure the safety of all manufacturing, lab, and bioprocess operations. The EHS Specialist will also help to maintain a safety culture that encourages safety awareness and self-responsibility, lead focus on all aspects of occupational safety at the ground level, and provide assistance to departments in understanding policies and procedures in line with safety regulations pertaining to operations.
As part of supporting EPIC, this is an on-site position, typically working Monday - Friday. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
- Perform hazard assessments and communicate safety standards to employees and contractors to help ensure compliance with State and Federal legislation, industry standards, and company policies.
- Investigate various types of incidents and reports and provide expert advice to more senior colleagues. Minimize risk exposures and ensure adherence with regulatory standards by working with all internal functions to make sure compliance programs are properly implemented.
- Provide specialist advice on the interpretation and application of policies and procedures, resolving complex or contentious queries and issues and enabling others to take appropriate actions.
- Performs internal and external inspections and audits relating to occupational safety and recommends corrective measures.
- Lead projects assigned at the discretion of the EHS Manager in areas as diverse as: biosafety reviews, indoor air monitoring, training/program development, compliance determinations, etc.
- Collaborate internally and work as the customer champion in cross-functional teams to build strong understanding of regulation and registration requirements. Assist in the review, update and/or develop EHS&S policies, procedures and/or training modules as necessary.
- Collect samples of hazardous materials or arrange for sample collection. Conduct audits of hazardous waste storage for compliance and participate in hazardous waste site investigations.
- Respond to emergencies as the ERT Incident coordinator and provides an incident command function for the Emergency Response Team during fire, rescue, hazmat, and medical emergencies.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in related field, or equivalent experience, and 3+ years of experience in BioTech or Food Manufacturing industries.
- General Industry OSHA 30hr certified, 40hr HAZWOPPER preferred.
- Ability to continuously establish and maintain excellent record keeping, inventory, and accountability.
- Must be able to navigate in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work with various IT platforms and EHS organizational tools used to manage EHS operation and day-to-day functions.
- Must be able to don PPE and comply with food safety GMP lift up to 50 pounds., work in cold room environments, sit and stand for long periods of time.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will partner with every function in the company!
- While we expect growth in all functions in the next 1-2 years, this role will most frequently interact with our Manufacturing, Lab Ops and R&D teams.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Establish 5s process to improve housekeeping and general safety
- Validate Small, and Large-scale operation for internal EHS compliance for accuracy.
- Ensure completion of required training of all staff for the specific hazards and “authorized” level tasks/functions they are assigned to as part of their routine functions.
Compensation Range: $48,000-$85,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities