Dairy Protein Scientist
We are looking for a passionate and energetic Dairy Protein Scientist, who believes in our mission and wants to be a part of the team. We are on the cusp of the next revolution in food technology, and we are working on some of the most exciting scientific discovery of our generation.
We are a U.S.-Australian food tech company creating animal-free dairy foods by leveraging precision fermentation technology, starting with cheese. By harnessing the power of microbes instead of animals, we are producing animal-free dairy foods that are indistinguishable from their animal-based predecessors in taste and texture, while delivering better-for-you and more sustainable products. We are applying the latest scientific innovation to create the next generation of animal-free milk proteins and products that will satisfy consumer expectations, while minimizing climate impact.
The Dairy Protein Scientist will join our R&D team in San Jose and will work collaboratively with Protein Engineering, Fermentation and Food Formulation teams. This position will report to the COO.
· Develop an experimental design to understand the chemical attributes and functionality of our animal-free caseins in food applications, such as cheese
· Compare chemical and functionality attributes of our animal-free caseins to those found in cow’s milk
· Work closely with our Fermentation team, to optimize our production process (DSP and Purification) and protein purification conditions
· Develop a deep understanding of casein protein chemistry to maximize the functional attributes (Solubility, Stretchability, Extensibility, Strength, Meltability, etc) for cheese applications
· Perform functionality tests to each protein batch, and create centralized records of protein powder analytics and process conditions
· Perform animal-free cheese formulation testing and track performance vs. traditional cow’s milk cheese
· Provide input to our Protein Engineering team for further optimization
· A self-starter who can work independently and as a key member of the team
· A problem solver who can improvise and come up with creative solutions
· A fast learner ready to roll up your sleeves and get going
· A diligent experimenter who learns and iterates to get to the best results
· Bachelor’s Degree (B.S. or B.A. with science major)
· Master’s Degree in Dairy Protein Science of Food Science
· Minimum of 2 years of hands-on dairy protein research experience
· Experience implementing and/or working with spreadsheets, ERP software, databases, logistical processes
· Passion for sustainability and creating a future food system that is kind to people, animals, and the planet
· U.S. work authorization
· Teamwork: we love to discuss and share ideas, solve problems quickly and collaborate
· Work ethic: we work hard and focus on the goal – we get things done
· Diversity: we are a diverse and inclusive bunch and proud of it
· Proposed salary range for this position is $80-100K/year, subject to modification based on experience and qualifications
· Employee stock options
· 80/20 Best-in-Class health insurance
· Paid time-off/vacation
· Company sponsored 401(k) with company match
· An opportunity to shape a better future and be a part of a dynamic team of entrepreneurs and scientists blazing a trail at the intersection of science and food
· Collaborative and supportive work environment
· Opportunity to develop new skills
This is a full-time onsite position at BioCube San Jose.