Chief Research Officer
Do you want to guide and develop biotechcompanies working towards the future of food? Does developing new IP andcreating a long term research vision sound like your cup of tea? Come join usat CULT Food Science.
As a focused investment and biotechnology platform, Cult Food Science works to develop and support the Future of Food. We are dedicated to cellular agriculture and precision fermentation.
Help us support the most innovative biotechnology companies on the planet by supporting CULT Food Sciences IP development and shaping the vision of its portfolio as Chief Research Officer.
About the role
As the Chief Research Officer, you will be reporting to the President and will work with CULT’s team to establish and execute the overall vision and strategy for the firm. You will also oversee three core functions within the company: IP strategy with CELL-X, technical due diligence on potential investments, and stewardship for our portfolio companies.
You will be responsible for developing and executing new IP and work to bring these innovations to market as well as to the benefit of our portfolio companies. As part of our investment strategy, you will help identify opportunity gaps and engage in technical due diligence with new portfolio company prospects.
At a later date, responsibilities will expand to supporting the operations, equipment design, procurement, installation, and ownership as part of CULT’s accelerator programs within CELL-X to support participating portfolio companies.
You will be a key contributor to the design, scale-up, technology transfer, and operation of all projects at CULT Food Science.
The ideal candidate is a demonstrated industry expert in a core discipline that applies to cell-based or precision fermentation approaches. This could be in bioprocess design, cell culture, or expression systems.
- Subject matter expert and owner for core tasks such as technical due diligence and IP roadmap development
- Support portfolio companies in overcoming technical challenges and having a strong technical roadmap
- Partner closely with our scientific advisory team to utilize their skillsets as needed for advancing CULTs operations
- Assist with establishing operational tools and practices required for success, such as training, documentation, project management, and so on as you see fit
- Participate and serve as SME in key discussions where technical expertise is required
- Continuously build network of industry SMEs and key collaborators
- Interfaces and leads projects with external contractors/vendors
- Uses appropriate tools for required work to track, document, report data and manage projects
- Work seamlessly within and across functions for transparent, efficient, and successful collaborations
- Communicate with and keep stakeholders informed on projects and milestones
- Mentor and supervise others in areas of expertise
Qualifications & Experience
- PhD in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or another closely related science
- 5 to 10 years of relevant work experience in biopharmaceutical process engineering, GMP manufacturing, expression systems, or the cellular agriculture industry.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Familiarity with bioprocess engineering fundamentals
- Familiarity with cell culture and process scale-up
- Familiar with bioprocess equipment operation and associated cell culture techniques
- Knowledge of protocols and operations in GMP environment
- Demonstrated experience in leading or participating in design and execution of research strategy
- The ability to support both tactical execution and strategic activities
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Ability to design and conduct research independently with regulatory landscape and regulatory process for new products
- Experience working in a venture capital environment
- Experience in working with adherent and/or suspension animal cell culture
- Basic understanding of modern data analytics such as DoE and MVDA
- Knowledge of animal cell biology, metabolic pathways, nutritional requirements and/or tissue engineering