Associate Scientist: Protein Biochemistry and Engineering
Wildtype is on a mission to create the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet, starting with sushi-grade salmon. We’re pioneering cellular agriculture to protect wild species and our oceans, and to reverse trends of global food insecurity. Wildtype will provide consumers with a new option for real seafood that provides the same nutritional benefits as the most pristine wild-caught fish, without common contaminants such as mercury, microplastics, antibiotics, or pesticides.
We were founded in 2016 by Aryé Elfenbein, a cardiologist and molecular biologist, and Justin Kolbeck (CEO), a former US diplomat who served in Pakistan and Afghanistan, in an effort to solve one of the world’s biggest problems: how to feed a growing population without stripping the earth of its natural resources and biodiversity. Investors include L Catterton, Jeff Bezos, Spark Capital, CRV, Temasek, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Robert Downey Jr.’s Footprint Coalition, among others.
Come join us in transforming our food system for good!
Your work at Wildtype
- Building an novel program for the characterization, engineering and production of proteins from marine species
- Expression, purification, and assay of bioactive peptides and proteins
- Development of systems for the identification, engineering, screening, expressing and characterization of novel proteins and peptides that promote cell proliferation and differentiation
What we’ll teach you
- How to apply your expertise in protein science within the context of next-generation sustainable seafood production
- How bioactive peptides and proteins can be used with tissue engineering to develop complex cellular structures and food textures
- Professional development as a scientist and leader in a fast-paced multidisciplinary research organization on the cutting edge of next-generation sustainable seafood production
- Outside-the-box thinking, creative experimental design, and the autonomy to build Wildtype’s protein science program
What you bring to Wildtype
- A PhD in biochemistry, protein engineering, protein chemistry, or related field.
- A vast understanding of protein structure, purification processes, protein engineering and 3+ years of experience with protein production (expression, purification and characterization)
- Experience with the synthesis and purification of custom peptides and/or proteins at small or medium is required, and at large scale is preferred.
- The ability to work independently in experiment planning, design, execution, optimization, data analysis, interpretation, and communication
- Excellent organizational, communication skills and a track record of effective collaboration in complex projects
- Mission-driven, creative, and entrepreneurial
- Within 1 month you’ll have internalized team goals and gained a basic understanding of the various scientific techniques and workflows of cellular agriculture. You will have designed and conducted your first experiments on your own, with the support of your scientific mentor. You will have defined your professional development goals for the next twelve months.
- Within 3 months you will be independently leading your first research projects related to protein expression and characterization. You would have presented your research findings at our company-wide meetings.
- Within 6 months you will have demonstrated the ability to take a complex project from a rough concept stage to completion. In your interactions with Wildtype’s broader crew, you will actively build community and seek out opportunities to help members on other teams. You will be ready to assume responsibility for multiple complex projects that require breadth and depth of technical competency.
- Within 12 months you will be ready to assume responsibility for major projects at Wildtype. In doing this, you will prepare and present detailed research plans with prioritization and relevant dependencies in support of company goals. You will be able to enlist support from others in the company (both in terms of personnel and material resources) to see your projects to conclusion. You will be able to visualize where your workstream will be in 6-12 months and work backwards from these outcomes to define detailed work plans. Your crewmates at Wildtype will recognize you as a subject matter expert in protein biochemistry and engineering.
The hiring range for this position is $100,000 - $120,000, plus 90th percentile equity.
Location: this is an onsite role based in San Francisco.
To learn more about Wildtype and see our newest updates, check out our blog!
Wildtype is committed to building a diverse workplace spanning multiple dimensions including race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, and veteran status.